Land of setting sun

Land of setting sun

Total Pageviews


In 1870 William Clarke age 22 of Luing was sentenced to 5 days imprisonment or a fine of 10/- (50p), for assault. He chose imprisonment and was jailed by Sheriff Home on 8th January 1870, bailed on the 10th and released on the 2nd February 1870. I am not sure of the justice system but it does not seem to add up.
Also Alexander McEachran aged 23 from Ballichulish but resident on Luing was jailed on the same day for assault. He received 20 days by Sheriff Home, he was sent down on the 8th as well, bailed on the 10th and released 18th February after 22 days imprisoned.
Lastly Hugh Cameron aged 20 from Ballichulish but resident on Luing was also charged with assault and got 20 days in clink on the 8th as well, bailed on the 10th and released 18th February after 22 days imprisoned.
I think it would be a reasonable assumption that they were having a good bash at each other. I wonder if they were put in separate cells.


In 1872 Ann McLachlan or Barr aged 35 born Kilbrandon but resident on Luing was sentenced to 6 weeks in prison or a fine of £8 for trafficking in spirits.
The trial date was  25th of March and sentence was to begin on date of imprisonment which was 3rd of April with her child and released on 15th May.
It is supposed that prison is an effective deterrent against further crimes but in the case of Ann it was not the case, she was again charged with trafficking in spirits, as it was her second offence she received 3months in jail or £15 fine. Admitted on the 16th of October 1878 she was released on the 16th January 1879, 92 days in Inverary jail.

Isabella Carmichael age 18 a domestic servant born and raised in Cullipool Luing, was  convicted of theft of money to the sum of £1 1/2pand sentenced to 30 days imprisonment or 40/- (£2). Tried on the 28th January 1866, admitted 25th January and released 24th February 1866.

Hugh Livingston age 14 born and resident on Luing received 15 days in prison for stealing a dog.
the trial was on the 21st August1861, admitted 15th August, released 5th September 1861.
Don't steal dogs.

Archibald MacInnes and John MacIntyre were both nabbed and charged with stealing coats and got 5days in prison. Admitted 2nd march 1855 released 7th March

John MacCorquodale age 18 Son of Hugh MacCorquodale and a herder by profession, a resident of  Ardinstuir, took possession of two sheep from the farm of Hugh McLachlan of Ardluing and disposed of them at Oban. Value of sheep was put at 12/- to 13/- each. MacCorquodale gave McLachlan 12/- as recompense The accused was unable to write and spoke only Gaelic. The lad appears to have had no one to look after him and no home from an early age. He drifted around various acquaintances, spending a few nights here and a few nights there. He may have been on Luing looking for employment. He possibly was a relative of the McCorquodales as the McCorquodales had married into the McLachlans earlier when Duncan McCorquodale married Mary McLachlan around 1760.
He was brought before the court on the 21st 1831 and sentenced to 7 years in Van Demons Land he was taken to the Retribution Hulk arriving on 6th June 1831 prisoner no 9410. then transferred to the Gilmore on 22 October 1831.Sail Date 27 November 1831 arrived in V.D.L. 22nd march 1832.

Aberdeen Journal - Thursday 14 November 1935

Arthur Percival Morton faced mischief Charge at Oban Court Morton a  retired postal official of Craiquaine Cottage, Isle of Luing, who was said to have painted a cottage on the island a "horrible" colour, appeared at Oban Sheriff Court yesterday charged with malicious mischief, or, alternatively, having committed breach of the peace. Mrs McLean, the wife of a shepherd on the island, said that on October 14 her husband was attending to sheep three miles away from the cottage, which is nearly a mile from the nearest habitation. Morton arrived with a pot of paint and started painting the outside wall of the cottage salmon colour. He had no authority, to do this. Sang Hymns Mrs McLean was alarmed, but she gave him cup of tea in the kitchcn.  Afterwards Morton sang hymns to the children, one aged eight months and the other two years. He told her that he was coming back next day to pull down the ceiling. She fled from the house, carrying her baby, and with the other child trailing after her spent most of the day outside. Her husband reported the matter when he returned home at night and found Morton painting the house a "horrible" colour. Her husband stayed at home next day fearing that Morton might carry out his threat. Morton denied having acted maliciously. He was found guilty of maliciously painting the house. Sentence was deferred until December 18.
                                                       And by the same man
TARRING THREAT IN LETTER TO BISHOP RETIRED POSTMAN SENTENCED AMAZING ALLEGATIONS Amazing allegations were made by a man in Oban Sheriff Court yesterday, who was charged with sending threatening letters to the Roman Catholic Bishop of Argyll and the Isles. The man alleged that when he was in Ireland attempts were made to shoot him, and that he was kidnapped, stripped, and left in the heart of a bog to die. Arthur Percival Morton, Criaguaine Cottage, Island of Luing, pleaded not guilty to the charge of sending two threatening letters to the Right Rev. Donald Martin between July 25 and August 5, addressed to the Catholic Bishop, Esplanade, Oban. The first letter read: The intruding Bishop, Espla of Argyll. Your gracious attention is drawn to the following resolution —
(a) To kidnap yourself the first opportunity
 three weeks less one day hence;
(b) to transport you to an unknown destination ;
(c) to remove
your undershirt, tarring and feathering;
(d) to replace same;
(e) to drop you a well-known place;
(f) to leave a mark on you everyone may recognize. May our brother be careful of his goings about.
 The second letter read: Dear unwanted brother, our note yourself has not been answered in any way of which we are aware. Let it be understood that the lack of satisfaction to yourself will cause you pain, grievous pain. August 15 will be date for you to remember. Both letters were signed Arthur Killalah, with a cross similar to that used by bishops.
 POSTMAN'S EVIDENCE. James Black, solicitor, Oban, conducted the defence, and David Stewart, procurator fiscal, appeared for the Crown. The first witnesses for the prosecution were Police-Inspector MacPhee, Oban; Constable MacTaggart, Kilbrandon;  and Mr Duncan MacCowan, retired postman, Toberonochy, Luing, who identified writing on the letters produced in court as that accused. Corroborative evidence was also given John MacFarlane and David Mill, overseers at the head post office, Glasgow. Mr MacFarlane said Morton was a sorting clerk and telegraphist in the head post office, Glasgow, until his retirement pension in May, 1933. Very Rev. G. P. Tonge, Provost of St John's Episcopal Cathedral, Oban, questioned by Mr Stewart, referred to a letter he receive from Morton in October, in which accused made reference to Bishop Martin being the " intruding Bishop of Argyll, Bishop Martin, in the witness-box, stated that the letters did not cause him alarm for his personal safety. He thought, however, damage might be caused to his church on the esplanade.
IRISH HOLIDAY. Accused, giving evidence on his own behalf, admitted sending the letters, but denied they contained threats. They were intended  only to show the Bishop what he, Morton, had suffered at the instigation of a Roman Catholic priest in County Mayo, Ireland, in the autumn of 1931. He was granted leave of at absence for nine weeks from his postal duties, and visited Killalah, where his family had connections for over 250 years. He was member of the Anglican Communion. Being interested in the bringing together of the Church of Rome and the Anglican Church, he made overtures to the Roman Catholics, who were 98 per cent, of the population in the district. His overtures were unsuccessful, and twice attempts were made to murder him. One night, he said, he was about go to bed when five men came into the house, stripped him, took his money and his papers, bundled him into car, and left him in a bog. On another occasion three men attempted to 'kidnap him and to shoot him with a pistol. Mr Stewart, in cross-examination ? asked Morton if he was sorry for writing the letters to the Bishop. " No," replied Morton. He added, however, that he would not write any more such letters, but said, " I want redress for two attempts on my life and for the loss of forty pounds and destruction of my nervous system, and I mean to have it." Stewart —What are you going to do next? —The Almighty Father of us all will deal with the case. Accused also stated that the grievous pain mentioned in the second letter did not mean physical or mental pain, but in a spiritual sense. He did not intend to do the Bishop any harm. Sheriff Chalmers, holding the charge proved, said he was taking a lenient view of what was very serious crime. The whole community had to be protected against threats of this nature. He bound accused over to be of good behavior for twelve months on a bond caution of £5, failing payment of which within seven days, imprisonment of thirty days.


Falkirk Herald - Wednesday 14 May 1902
Charge Of Murder in Knapdale. On Saturday a man named John MacDonald, a fisherman of Toberonochy, Luing, Argyllshire, was examined before Sheriff Penney at Inveraray on the charge murder, and after emitting a declaration was committed to prison for further examination. MacDonald, who was a cousin of the accused, left Toberonochy on Monday the skiff Rora, and arrived at Caovan Bay, North Knapdale, for the purpose of gathering shell-fish. On Wednesday afternoon MacDonald went to Archibald MacNeill, farmer, and him told him Munro had fallen from a high rock and was killed. MacNeill reported the matter to the police, and on Thursday Dr Macdiarmid, Lochgilphead, accompanied by Constable M'Lellan, arrived on the scene. As a result of the medical examination the accused was apprehended, and subsequently conveyed to Inveraray.

Edinburgh Evening News, 7th Jul 1902
the New Court, Glasgow, to-day, before Lord Kincairney, John MacDonald was charged with murdering Alexander Munro, fisherman, on the latter's skiff, Toberonochy, Island of Luing, by striking him on the head with an axe. Mr Smith Clark, counsel for accused, tendered a plea of insanity. Dr Patrick Hunter Gillies and Lawrie, Greenock prison surgeon, deposed to unfitness of accused to plead, and he was ordered to be detained during his Majesty's pleasure.